Saturday, July 31, 2010

BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO

I love Target.(That is I love Target until I get to the checkout and realize how much money I really spent on all those things that I think I can't live without.) I love picking up things in the dollar section for my young nieces and nephew. I love browsing just about every department to see what's new and exciting (or on clearance). I love Target. Plain and Simple.


Well, last week Target tarnished that love. Target and I will be taking a break and we won't be spending as much time together. You see, I lost a bit of respect for Target last week when a large donation was made by the Target CEO to MN Forward. MN Forward is a coalition that supports Tom Emmer, a Republican candidate for Governor. Emmer is anti gay which is a real contradiction to what I believe Target stands for. Target is very supportive of the GLBT community and is a major supporter of Pride festivities. They also offer benefits to domestic partners.

I think of Target as "The People's Store". It's the store where any one, any where can buy anything. I'm so disappointed in Target for making this decision to donate to a candidate who doesn't believe in equal rights for all people.

Except to pick up a prescription refill later today, I won't be shopping at Target until an attempt is made to make things right again. Please, Target, do your best to quickly remedy the situation you have gotten yourself in to. How about an equal donation to another candidate who does support gay rights? That might make me and millions of others who are outraged over your behavior feel a little bit better.
If you are interested in more information regarding Target and MN Forward, you can read about it here and here. Also take the time to listen to this video made by a mom in MN who feels the same way I do. All of our gay loved ones and friends deserve the same respect and rights that you and I have.

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment