Tuesday, July 27, 2010

DONATING FOR LIFE

I used to donate blood on a regular basis through the Red Cross. I moved from MN to CA and just never got around to being a consistent donor again. I thought about it, but you know how it goes, other things seemed more important and it just never happened.

A few weeks ago I went in for my annual mamamogram and the woman at the front desk asked me if I would be interested in donating blood at our local hospital. I made an appointment and went in yesterday to donate. Talk about getting the royal treatment! I couldn't have been treated nicer. They were SO appreciative of my donation.

Many hospitals have their own donation centers within their building. All blood donated in the center, stays in the hospital. In the end your donation ends up with you friends, neighbors and people in your community. You can go in and donate for someone specific that you know that needs it. I like this idea of donating to my community.

The Red Cross still needs blood as well. I remember leaving after a donation feeling that I was really doing something on a large level. I felt good about doing something to help a stranger. I always thought donating was the least I could do as maybe one day I would be the one needing it.

Be it your local hospital or the Red Cross, please consider donating your blood. It's so easy and you are in and out in an hour. You can do it every 56 days and it just plain feels good to be doing something for someone else. AND...they always give you good cookies and juice when you are finished!

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment