Tuesday, July 27, 2010

WHERE HAS ALL THE FABRIC GONE?

I love fabric. Plain and simple. I remember walking through fabric stores with my mom when I was little. I loved touching all the beautiful fabrics. I'm sure the clerks in the stores didn't appreciate my love of fabric as I felt the need to touch EVERY bolt of fabric that I could get my hands on.

I don't remember at what age I first started sewing, but I know that I was still playing with Barbie dolls as Barbie and Skipper were the first recipients of my idea of fashion design. When I was in Jr. High (I guess it's called Middle School now) I started sewing my own clothes and clothes for my friends. I made maternity clothes when I was pregnant and clothes for my children when they were young. When my kids were in high school, I went back to school to learn upholstery. So, as you can see, fabric has always played a large role in my life.Where am I going with this? Well, I'm a bit frustrated as I've just learned of another store that sells fabric, that has closed near my home. That's three places in the last year. What's happening? Isn't anyone sewing anymore? I'm down to Joann Fabrics and one upholstery fabric store, and that's it. Where am I supposed to go to get my fabric fix? Don't get me wrong, I love Joann's and my local upholstery fabric store, but I can't find everything that I need there. Am I supposed to get my fabric on-line? How can I touch it? How can I feel it's softness? I'm all for on-line stores, I just don't know that it works in every situation. Like when I NEED new fabric RIGHT NOW. Not 3 days from now.

If anyone knows of any fabric stores in South Orange County, California, please let me know. I'm desperate. Photo above found here.


Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment